11.11.2012

Limahuli National Tropical Botanical Garden

 



Taro Plants! This is where Poi comes from. There are something like 40 varieties of Taro.




Do you have a split leaf philodendron?

I used to have one named Fluffy. It got very large.

But it never ever bloomed. Supposedly these get a custard like fruit that is only ripe for a very short amount of time. Otherwise it's a little toxic.





How awesome do these look? Don't you want to try a custard apple?

Papaya!


Tourist Pineapples.

This is the only signage for this Arch Site.



Kind of an interesting take on why we should treasure biodiversity, and why invasives are particular nasty on islands. Preachin' to the choir, sister.



This is a Hala tree. it's in the Screwpine Family. For reals. Pandanus tectos

Can you tell I'm trying to look like this tree?




That tree in the background- I'm sure you can tell which one I'm talking about- it was introduced by Cook, and is called the Cook's pine. Not native. It was used to make ship's masts.

Koa!

kinda looks like a norwegian pine.



Like a cabbage on a baseball bat? How about: Brighamia insignis

These were our favorite plant in the garden, they were brought from the brink of extinction by volunteers rapelling off cliffs to pollinate and gingerly care for them. Now they are sold in nurseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment