I just finished reading In the Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I knew there was a reason I was attempting to eat more organic food, I didn't realize it was actually more nutritious for you than non-organic food. I knew it was better for the environment, but it's also better for you. Crazy. It was definitely an eye opener. He sort of beats it into you that processed food is bad in a multitude of ways.
I have an uncontrollable urge to shop at farmers markets, and cook my own veggies.
Eat food, not too much, and mostly plants. (the gist of his book)
I feel better about being vegetarian. I knew it was more sustainable, and I'd heard vegetarians have lower rates of cancer, I still have a lot of work to do to get to the ideal diet.
One of the facinating parts of this book is just how wrong nutritionists are- fat isn't bad for you. In fact, you can have a much higher percentage of fat in your diet, and not actually get fat, or have heart diseases, or metabolic disorders. So long as it isn't processed fat- partially hydrogenated or ethyoxylated, etc. If you get it from natural sources you're much better off.
This entire time I thought low fat was better for me, and that eating less fat would make me be less fat. I read a lot about food- I'm vegetarian, I'm attempting to be healthier because if I don't watch out, I will probably get really fat and get diabetes. So I'm really glad this book came along. I was told a few years ago to read his other book- omnivore's dillemma, just haven't gotten around to it...
(I will finish this later)
I've heard good things about these 2 books. And plan on reading them in the future... sometime... :)
ReplyDeleteIn defense of food isn't something you'd read to relax, I sort of got riled from it.
ReplyDeleteOh goodie! I can't wait to start. Heard Omnivore's Dilemma is not as nice of a read.
ReplyDelete